Started May 22, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nguyen2574
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Sadly I returned the HS10 for Canon T2i
May 22, 2010

I have been lurking here for a while now looking for a replacement of my Canon Xsi. 3 weeks ago, I took the plunge and bought the HS10. After about 400 shots under various conditions and finally the IQ had me return the HS10. Here are some of my thoughts for those who are considering the HS10.

PROS:

1. Great all around cam w long zoom lense. Great for traveling because of its compactness and the builtin wide zoom range.
2. Manual zoom ring.

3. Hot shoe for external flash - great for indoor group photo, esp at parties or indoor when the light is dim. I love the fact that I could use the manual at 1/125, 5.6 and fire the flash (for steady pictures), some other cameras set w flash at 1/60 which has been at times un steady for my hands.

CONS:

1. EVF droves me crazy. It takes a few seconds for the view to stay steady. I guess I am so used to DSLR. I thought by now, cam manufacturers could have solve that EVF problem.

2. the cost is almost to the entry level DSLR. For example, one can get a kit now for Canon T1L with 25-55 for $710 + $150 for 55-250mm lense. I would have kept the HS10 if the price point was at around $350 to $400.

3. Perhaps the way to use the HS10 was a little more complicated then I would like.

4. 720 HD video somehow show up on my computer as mostly blue. REd shirts look blue/

5. The killer of it all is the IQ. I took some photos at my daughter's soccer game on a cloudy, light mist day @ mostly high zoom ends. The numbers of their shirts from across the field turned out SHARP, but when I increased the magnification on my computer then I noticed her face had a lot of noise (even at ISO 100 or 200). Another example is the photos I took at the highschool concert with just stage lights. Again I went back and compared them with those from the canon XSi, it became apparent that the IQ on HS10 was no where near the low light IQ on the Canon DSLR (of course, the two chips are not of the same size).

I am certain that with some learning curve I could master the HS10 as some of you have. Oh well, I am just ordered the canon t2i w 25-250mm glass for 2x the amount of HS10.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow