Started May 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,701Gear list
Like?
Switching To Nikon?
May 21, 2010

I spent Wednesday afternoon with a pro wedding photographer preparing for a few weddings I will be shooting this summer. As I walked up to him I had my 5D MK2 and he had a Nikon D700.

He had just sold all of his Canon gear and switched to Nikon. He was upgrading and it was between the 5D MK2 and the D700. He previously had the 5D. Of course our conversation included reasons. His reasons - the D700 has better AF, better high ISO noise and Nikon flash is more reliable. What surprised me was that he said when it came to color Canon was better than Nikon, particularly skin tones. He really missed that part about Canon. He stated that if the 5D MK2 had the 7D focusing system he would have stuck with Canon. 7D came up because I have one. Not sure what the D700 costs but I guess he could not afford the 1D bodies. Selling and buying new glass must have hurt so the motivation to me is still a mystery. Perhaps he only had a few lenses so the hurt was not so bad.

He noticed that I had my 24-105 on and he misses that lens as well. It was his wedding workhorse and even with the distortions are 24mm he preferred it to the 24 - 70. He felt the AF was more reliable.

I found that very interesting so I thought I would share. I do love the color my Canon bodies had produced for me.

-- hide signature --

The solution is always simple. Getting there is the hard part.

Zee Char's gear list:Zee Char's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow