ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sunshine_boy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,539Gear list
Like?
P&S vs Bridge vs dSLR
May 21, 2010

Having seen the new threads about clarity and sharpness of Bridge and SLRs

I was prompted to do some rough tests with the cams I have: F31, S6500, Nikon D60

Having also read and seen so much about the iq of HS10 when it comes to grass/foliage (and detail in general), I chose to take some shots from my kitchen down the back garden (one floor below)where there is quite a big patch of green, a concrete garden path and some flowers/trees.

Conditions: Strong sunshine and shadows, no wind to speak of.

I doubled the D60 shots, using the kit lens 18-55 VR and the 18-105 VR
Aperture priority throughout
All -1/3ev compensation
Hand held
With the Fuji cams I used F5.6, Nikons F9 (trying to give them more DOF)

All raw (except F31), just converted to jpegs using ACR, resized and 30% sharpened in PS

Please excuse the slight difference in size. I was aiming at getting the zoom to 35mm. I might have not achieved it exactly.

All focused on garden lamp half way across the lawn.

I give the samples as W, X, Y, Z

I will leave it to you to put them in order of IQ preference (no ties, please).

Regarding the brightness, bear in mind that all cams/lenses have their own tone characteristics. You may of course try to guess which cam/lens represents each letter.

The samples, although rather crude may be of varying interest to viewers for a variety of reasons, even though they do not reflect exactly what a more controlled test would have shown. Only one shot taken in each case (sorry Kim, don't lash out at me...:)).

Apart from the order of iq preference, it will be interesting if you could give a rating next to it. Please use: Very Good, Good, Not bad, Bad.

For example
1. W - Very Good
2. X - Good
3. Y - Not Bad
4. Z - Bad

Here they are, full shots, followed by corresponding crops:

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine

Fuji F30, F31, S6500, OLY C4000Z, Canon Film EOS,
Nikon D60, 18-55VR, 18-105VR, 55-200VR, 35/1.8, SB-400

Sunshine_boy's gear list:Sunshine_boy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd Olympus C-4000 Zoom Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D60
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow