Started May 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mlackey
Regular MemberPosts: 462
Like?
macro lens recommendation
May 19, 2010

Background: Back in the day acquired an OM-1n and OM-4t with 50/1.4, 50/3.5, 85/2, and some other fine OM lenses. Last year decided time to join the digitial world, so purchased an E620 and 50/2 macro. Later purchased 35/3.5 macro and 12-60/2.8-4 for travel and vacation. I have no trouble getting great pics from this small and lightweight setup.

However, I want to delve deeper into macro shots. I started by looking at medium-format SLRs, but cost is a complete deal-killer for me. After weeks of careful thought, I think my budget would permit a full-frame Canon EOS 50D MKII and a truly great macro lens.

Initially, my intent is to use the Canon in a "studio" environment, taking close-up and macro shots with carefully controlled lighting, providing max absolute detail in large prints. In time I may acquire another Canon lens or two, and who knows, maybe the very capable OLY system might find itself in lower demand. We'll see.

But back to reality, please. I want to buy an excellent macro lens for Canon EOS, and I absolutely prefer a macro lens in the 100mm range (35mm equivalent), as I'm already working comfortably with my E620 and 50/2 for almost all my shots lately. I would also consider a macro lens in the 70mm range (35mm equivalent), but those distances are a bit close for my tastes.

My question, and it's very specific:
(1) do you own an EOS 50D MKII?
(2) If yes, do you use a macro lens more than 50% of the time
(3) If yes, do you uses a lens in the 70-130mm range (35mm equivalent) and why?

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Mike

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow