Started May 18, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Scanlon
Regular MemberPosts: 189
Like?
Red sunsets & the E-510 - question
May 18, 2010

Let me just begin by saying that I really like the E-510 and have been using it for 3 tears, a lot! Recently, I've been very frustrated with the inability to capture the red in the late evening sky. I've noticed this for a long time with the E-510 and have tried every aperture and many other settings and usually either the 14-42mm or lately the 14-54 MKII. I shoot RAW and even then, the orange turns to yellow, both on the LCD and in RAW. It's blown out and there's no recovering it in ACR. Yesterday evening, there was a magnificent orange color in the sky - no yellow whatsoever. I knew as I was photographying it that I would probably see some or a lot of yellow, even though the histogram in Liveview showed it was fine at the time the shutter was pressed. Sure enough, while the higher half of the sky showed oranges and some pink shades (there was no pink in my sight last night), later when I looked at the image on the monitor, the bottom portion of the sky, just above the horizon, was all yellow - blown. I've used GND filters, etc., but there is no improvement in the color, although it does prevent the highlights from being blown. Yesterday I did not use the filter. My general practice with this camera is to use one if there are clouds and the sun is above the horizon. The sun had already set. I've noticed that the Canon and Nikon people that I sometimes shoot with seem to have no trouble getting even a red orb to appear red.

Has anyone else had this problem, either with this camera or another Olympus? What can be done to change it? I know there is a Camera1 setting for WB which allows you to change the R-G balance. I haven't yet done this because I thought it would affect the other colors as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ron

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow