ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
The Big One
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,361Gear list
Like?
AF Adjust question
May 18, 2010

Hey all,

A question for those who have used the AF adjustments -- do you find that there are differences in the focal distance (i.e. distance to subject, not focal length)? I.e., on my 14-54 if I put the focus chart 0.5m away (when at 14mm), will any adjustments needed there also work for infinity focus at 14mm? While I can calibrate my telephoto lenses quite well, wider angles are difficult, as I need to get the camera much closer to the focus chart than it would be to the subject in real life. (Yes, this example is a bit contrived, as DOF at 14mm is pretty wide to begin with, but the same problem exists to a lesser extend with my Sigma 30 -- for me to see the focus chart well enough to get a good estimate of the focal plane, it has to be closer than I would ever be for a portrait in real life).

I suppose that I could always just make a huge focus chart on a piece of poster board...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
--
--Wyatt
http://photos.digitalcave.ca
All images (c) unless otherwise specified, please ask me before editing.

The Big One's gear list:The Big One's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow