Started May 17, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GoBears98
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
E-pl1 review misses the mark for me
May 17, 2010

I have been a big dpreview fan for several years, and it has guided many of my camera & lens purchases. The opinion of dpreview has usually agreed quite well with my own experience.

However, I have to say I was surprised by the review of the E-pl1, and its the first time my own experience & opinion differs quite greatly from dpreview. It seems many other photographers feel the same way, when you look at the enthusiasm the E-pl1 receives in forums and from professional photographers like Steve Huff and Kirk Tuck. At the end of the day, I don't really mind much as it won't affect my own affection for the camera. It just surprised me and I am curious if anyone else has a similar opinion?

The categories I most disagree with the dpreview are image quality (how can it be one of the best jpeg engines ever and not score higher) and value (It blows away the other cameras in this price category for image quality). Also, while performance is a little slow, I find it does not affect me that much. I find the score for performance a bit low.

BTW, I actually compared the E-pl1 against the Canon G11 class of compact. Granted, the E-pl1 is bigger and heavier, but not by that much (especially with the 20mm 1.7!). At least in my mind, its closer to a G11 than it is to a Nikon D3000. For reference, here is the G11 review:

Detail Rating (out of 10)
Build quality 9.0
Ergonomics & handling 9.0
Features 8.5
Image quality 8.5
Optics 9.0
Performance (speed) 8.5
Value 7.5

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow