ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pierre Daigneault
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?
HDR Queries
May 16, 2010

Hi,

Just wanted some advice from the experts here.

I have been looking at experimenting with HDR as I quite like some of the subtle (and not so subtle) effects that I have seen. Some comment on the following questions would be of assistance.

I am using an FZ18. This can only exposure bracket by + - 1ev. To get the recommended + - 2 ev I would have to mount on a tripod and to change between shots...all a bit of an effort. Will I get a worthwhile effect from the + - 1 ev?

Some threads say that you can get some effect from a single image (create an overexposed and underexposed copy and then apply HDR), but I have tried this and can't see much difference from normal PP. Comments?

I have been using The Gimp and QTPFSGUI. Although it is a bit cumbersome, is this OK to get reasonable results?

Thanks for any tips and advice.

Here is a shot of one of those big tropical trees with the large "wing like" roots that wander all over the place. Really quite spectacular.....more than the photo shows. Taken at the Botanical gardens in Bogor, Indonesia. I have tried a little HDR with this one but only using the single exposure as above. It seems to have brought out some detail in the foreground and background, but I am not sure if it is any better than I could have achieved using normal PP.

Pierre Daigneault's gear list:Pierre Daigneault's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Brother MFC-J415w
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow