DIY: How to clean dust inside the Nikkor 24-70 rear element.

Started May 16, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rick_Hunter
Contributing MemberPosts: 591Gear list
Like?
DIY: How to clean dust inside the Nikkor 24-70 rear element.
May 16, 2010

Well, I had 3 fairly large bits of dust behind the rear element of my 24-70 that bothered me. So I took a careful look at the lens mount structure and placement of the screws and decided to give it a try at removing the rear element for cleaning.
I discovered it's much, much simpler than I expected.

The rear element is permanently encased in a black metallic frame, you can see it, it's the black part of the lens mount that surrounds the rear element.

This frame is held in place by 3 screws, you remove them, lift the frame, and thus the rear element, off the lens.

There are no centering spacers, no electrical or mechanical connections, the frame is a separate structure from the mount contacts and aperture post. It just will slide out of the lens by itself with no hassle at all.

Now all you have to do is clean the dust, put it back into place and replace the screws.

You have to look around the mount for these 3 identical screws (they're the bigger ones) Feel free to try it, if you want. I am not responsible if you mess things up

Rick_Hunter's gear list:Rick_Hunter's gear list
Nikon D3S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow