Started May 15, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Photorealm
Contributing MemberPosts: 942
Like?
HS10: Second farthest object with HS10?
May 15, 2010

Got up around 0500 local time yesterday morning and took a few shots at Jupiter. Was able to get the Galilean moons but at the expense of any details on the planet surface. Then I "back and forthed" the settings and finally got some detail on Jupiter himself but none of the moons so I'll have to post two images. I shot RAW+JPEG, but these are the JPEGs rather than processed RAW.

Interestingly, when I was comparing the shot of Jupiter to some much better ones (ie, NASA stock images), I was able to make out the Northern Equatorial band (the red line on the upper part of the planet) and the Great Red Spot (down on the lower portion of the planet) but something looked wrong, there was no Southern Equatorial band. I thought maybe I was seeing very coincidental artifacts that just looked like the band and spot on my image at first. Later yesterday I saw this story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1277734/Jupiter-loses-stripes-scientists-idea-why.html

which indicates that the Southern band disappeared during the time Jupiter was behind the Sun...so, the image is correct.

Jupiter showing Northern Equatorial band and the Great Red Spot. Detail isn't exactly "great", but it IS over 505 million miles away

Jupiter with the four Galilean moons

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow