Photography / Masking Tip replacing backgrounds

Started May 12, 2010 | Discussions thread
Mike Warren
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,488Gear list
Like?
Re: Works like a Charm
In reply to WineO, May 14, 2010

WineO wrote:

Thanks Mike it underlines that you use horses for courses with Photoshop. I tried Fluidmask but gave up when I saw the time it would take on this image to get a good selection. I don't think it would be quite as successful with fussy hair extraction but CS5 Refine edge might make it worth trying. I found that if I made a Clipping Mask and pasted the new background into the image I did not need to place it behind the top layer or invert the selection. Saves a few steps but comes to the same thing.
Claude

Thanks for trying the method out Claude. Yes, there are many ways to skin a cat using Photoshop. Your method having the background on the top is good if you want to set the layer mode to darken over a light background for better transition of the edges (like a sky over tree branches). My method having the background below the subject is good for when you want to use layer styles to add a drop shadow or outer edge glow over the background. It just depends on what you planning to do with the image next.

Mike

Mike Warren's gear list:Mike Warren's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow