Started May 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joe Demko
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
Another 7D focus question / help
May 14, 2010

I was hesitant to start another thread about 7D and focusing but here it goes...

When I got my 7D (along with the 24-105 and the 70-300) a little over a month ago I spent a good amount of time reading the manual and snapping pics getting to learn everything new it had to offer (prior to this I had an XSi with kit lenses). I'm not a professional but I like taking pictures and I especially like (and am capable of) taking great, sharp pictures like the ones I see throughout this site. Initially, I was so impressed with the results I was seeing but then I fell into the "7D Focus Issue" discussion trap and started running test after test (focus charts, 45 degree angle shots, etc). Convinced that I had an issue, I sent my lenses and body into Canon Irvine for them to 'fix' the issue.

Both lenses came back with the statement "it was found that the product performed according to specifications" however the body came back with the statement "it was found that the adjustment of the AF assembly was incorrect causing the auto focus to operate improperly. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the AF assembly and product functions were confirmed."

After getting my gear back, I headed out to the backyard to take some pictures. The first is with the 24-105 and the second is with the 70-300. When cropped at 100%, I still dont think these are as sharp as they should be. I dont have the hands of a brain surgeon but I know I held the camera pretty steady. I used center zone AF, one shot and the AF points are directly on the bird's head and body and no recomposing was done after focus. IS was on for both shots. Both were taken at the longest end of the lens (105mm and 300mm) because I couldnt physically get any closer. Very little PP was done in DPP and cropping was done in PS elements 8.

Maybe it's my technique and if it is, I can absolutely accept that and learn from my mistakes but I just dont know if that is it. Any constructive thoughts?

Thanks,
Joe

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow