Thinking of selling M8 for e-p2, crazy idea?? Any one have both?

Started May 13, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
robinthesnapper
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
Thinking of selling M8 for e-p2, crazy idea?? Any one have both?
May 13, 2010

Hey

I'm really struggling on trying to decide whether to keep my M8 or not. I'm after some input please. Does anyone here have both? How do you find the two compare, different leagues I'm assuming.

I'm using the M8 less and less, I love the camera and the images and I prefer it a thousand time over my old 5D mk II but its just ending up sitting at home. This is making me feel bad for having so much money tied up in it (well for me it is).

I'm toying with the idea of getting rid of it for an e-p2 and 20mm 1.7, purely for the reason that I'll think I'll end up carrying the camera with me more. I worry so much about the M8, about dropping it, breaking it etc. Plus one thing does get me, the fact you have to focus using the centre of the viewfinder. And after all the best camera is the one you have with you.

I already have the 50mm Nokton 1.1, so I'm thinking of keeping hold of that, or swapping it for a 40mm 1.4 nokton as the 50 will be quite long on an e-p2. These should still allow me to play with some pretty shallow DOF with the smaller sensor of the e-p2. I'm thinking wide angle zoom, the 20mm 1.7 and one of the noktons, so it should be a pretty sweet set up.

I've had some such beautiful shots with the M8 though and the tonal range is superb, some of the black and white jpegs from the camera have just blown me away.

Help, I'm really struggling with this one! I've already got an LX3, so I'm thinking the e-p2 could do the job of both cameras...

Should anyone be interested in 'my style' you can see my flickr here http://www.flickr.com/photos/33970250@N08/

Mainly street, but I do like family portraits as well where shallow DOF comes in. I've seen some great portraits with the 20mm 1.7 on the e-p2 though.

Interested to hear from people who own both please and the merits you see in the e-p2 against the M8

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow