Started May 13, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vsol
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Smart Flash Exposure
May 13, 2010

I've noticed the new 2010 Canon cameras mention this new feature.

"Smart Flash Exposure has also been introduced to the IXUS 210 - allowing the camera to effectively control the flash in a range of shooting conditions. For example, when taking portraits in sunny conditions, Smart Flash Exposure will identify shadows on the subject’s face and use just enough flash to eliminate them. To prevent over-exposure when photographing at close distances, Smart Flash Exposure will detect how reflective the subject is, its distance from the lens, and set the flash power accordingly."

It appears to be incorporated in all new Canons, not just the Ixus.

To me this feature sounds very appealing, since for me one of the things that makes a good camera is the ability to take flash shots that don't look too much like 'flash' shots. I especially like the idea of the flash throttling down for close/reflective subjects as I have a camera now that always blows things out in this situation.

Does anyone know any more about this and if it really makes a difference compared to the flash on previous models? Also, is this something that has a setting in the camera or is it just an improvement to the flash algorithms that's always on?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow