Started May 12, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Carnivore99
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
Need advice on my upgrade path
May 12, 2010

I'm thinking of upgrading my kit with the new Canon EF 70-200mm 1:2.8 L IS II USM and a great, fast prime lens somewhere in the 24~30mm range.

I would probably sell my Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM and put the money toward the new 70-200m L. I might also sell one or more of my Tamron zooms as I feel I've got some redundancy there, and I'd rather have a great, high quality lens in each range instead of so many overlapping midrange quality lenses.

I'm just an amateur/hobbyist shooting with a 1.6x crop body (450D). But I expect I'll add a full-frame body and keep the door open to some professional work down the road, so I'd like to make sure that whatever upgrades I make now are done with those considerations in mind. For now, my favorite subjects are nature, birds & wildlife (yes I know I'll want to look at something with a longer reach at some point), and creative available-light photography.

Here's what I have now. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Tamron AF 17-50mm f2.8 XR (Original, non-VC version)
Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical
Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM
Lensbaby 2.0
Kenko AF 1.5x Teleplus DG teleconverter

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow