Started May 11, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
splendid_splinter
Regular MemberPosts: 368
Like?
=== The Death of the Alpha ===
May 11, 2010

I should start by saying I am the definition of a hobbyist. I am willing to bet the vast majority of people that post on this site know a lot more than I do about DSLR's.

However, I am not blind.

++Sony has no replacement for the a700, and the a900 has, by multiple reports, been discontinued less than 2 years after "the flagship" was announced.

That means the only premium, non-entry level, DSLR that Sony currently has on the market is the a850 and my guess is that is soon to follow the a700 & a900.

I feel raped, quite honestly. I've invested thousands and thousands of dollars in Sony Alpha line, and it seems pretty clear to me that that all that Alpha mount glass will be gathering dust in less than 4-5 years. I recently purchased the 135mm STF and can't tell you how much I love it, and how enraged I am that Sony seems to be letting the Alpha line die a slow and painful death.

Is there anything we as consumers can do? Personally, I can't think of anything, but I will say that if the death of the Alpha line is indeed imminent....I will never, as long as I live, by another Sony product. I have been extremely brand loyal when it comes to Sony, but being left high and dry like this will change my opinion quickly and permanently.

Does anyone else share my concerns? Am I overreacting? Is there anything we as consumers can do? Is there any reason to remain hopeful that Sony will continue the Alpha line and top end DSLR's?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow