T2i 12 Minute Video Recording Length Limitation?

Started May 11, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
k425
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
T2i 12 Minute Video Recording Length Limitation?
May 11, 2010

I am considering purchasing my first DSLR, the T2i, and I wanted some opinions from those that have used DSLRs for video. Is the T2i's 12 minute maximum video recording length a limitation that would warrant waiting for the T3i next year. Would a Canpn firmware upgrade possibly eliminate this limitation or is it hardware contrained?

I am on a "electronics" budget and can't upgrade every year or 2 so this purchase ($900) would be a rather substantial investment for me. I would mainly be using the T2i for family photos and videos. The reason I want to upgrade to a DSLR is that I am unable to reliably get indoor photos, kid photos, in focus with a variety of P&S cameras that I've had (Fuji E550, Panasonic TZ5, Panasonic ZS3, etc.) The ZS3 very good video at 720P and has only the card size as a recording length limitation.

Does the 12 minute limit impact the usefulness of the T2i in real life situations? I will mainly be shooting plays, recitals, baseball and football games as well as vacation video.

Thoughts?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow