A message to the m4/3 crowd

Started May 11, 2010 | Discussions thread
WT21
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,659Gear list
Like?
Certainly one of the most patronizing posts I have ever read on CPR.
In reply to duckling, May 11, 2010

duckling wrote:

It's painful, isn't it?

A new camera is announced with a larger sensor, unreal cleanliness at ISOXXXX (you may add another X for good measure), a wonderful display and to top it all it's smaller, much smaller, than your camera. You feel betrayed by the manufacturer of your gear. You feel frustrated, even stupid.

Now, before you pre-order one of those shiny new gems and put your gear on ebay, calm down and think. How long before another camera, even newer and better, appears on the market? In this day and age there will always be new, fascinating technologies around the corner. Is this new wonder going to make your photography better? Let me guess: probably not. Get yourself a couple of books on photography. Proper ones, made of high quality paper and featuring great images of your preferred style and subjects. That is the best investment you can make in your photography.

I know because I've been there many times before. In the past people raved about their ability to obtain decent results at ISO800 while I struggled with 400. Some of the best images I made are noisy and technically flawed, but they are meaningful and well composed. These days we get useable ISO1600 in our much smaller cameras. In my experience this is more than enough for taking photos in any reasonable light conditions. For unreasonable light conditions a decent flash helps more than having the best sensor in the world (in most cases, not all).

Remember that low light capabilities are only a minor aspect of photography to most. Much more important are things like colour rendition in bright light, the optical quality of lenses and the overall interface with the camera. However, perhaps the most important is feeling good about yourself and trusting your gear. These take time rather than merely money.

Cheers.
--
Gallery: http://weatherloony.fruitsens.com/snphoto.html

-- hide signature --

I refuse to wed myself to any of these vendors. I'm just having fun taking pictures,
and watching the technology develop.

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-P3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow