Started May 11, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sundayman99
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
16-35 Lens Hood - Is it necessary?
May 11, 2010

I have a favorite shoulder bag and backpack to carry my 5DII and assorted lenses, and the enormous (diameter) hood of the 16-35 II lens causes storage and quick access problems with both. It's so wide and shallow that reversing it doesn't really gain me anything in terms of saving space. (I prefer to have my hoods mounted correctly and ready to go in the bag, if possible, anyway.)

Because it is so wide and shallow, how much does this hood really do in terms of improving image quality (contrast and/or flare)? I am considering leaving it out of my smaller bag because I want to go light and fast, and this hood really gets in the way - whether it is mounted or not. I realize hoods are also good for lens protection, and I always have mine on, but in this case I would be willing to forego that extra protection in order to make the lens easier to store and access... As long as the image quality doesn't suffer without the hood.

Would this be a mistake?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow