Upgrading 40D to 7D???

Started May 3, 2010 | Discussions thread
noisejammer
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrading 40D to 7D???
In reply to smi, May 7, 2010

I'm lucky enough to have a 40D, 7D and 70-200 f/2.8L Mk2 and the 1.4 Mk2 extender.

The 70-200 is spectacular. Even when it is wide open, mine out-resolves the 40D sensor at all focal lengths. That suggests I'm going to have the lens for a very long time. Adding the extender increases the image scale but degrades the image quality very slightly. I don't expect the lens to be improved on for a long time, so it isn't going to get less expensive.

On the other hand, the 7D will be approaching the end of it's life cycle in a year or so. If things go the way they have, the 7D will then cost less than $1k.

This is ok because if you get the 70-200 lens first, by the time the limitations of the 40D begin to irk you, you can buy the 7D and get a camera / lens / extender combination that will probably satisfy every reasonable telephoto requirement for a very long time. (35 mm equivalents of 112 - 320 f/2.8 and 157 - 448 f/4 with resolution of less than two pixels.)

If you do go that route, I recommend adding the battery grip for the 7D - it makes holding and operating the camera in protrait mode a whole lot easier - particularly with a heavy lens attached.

noisejammer's gear list:noisejammer's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OopsNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow