olympus? panasonic? should I wait for sony?

Started Apr 28, 2010 | Discussions thread
Melbourne Park
Senior MemberPosts: 2,408Gear list
Like?
Re: Comment regarding size of OIS 14-140 and IBIS 14-150 lenses
In reply to safaridon, May 7, 2010

safaridon wrote:

For all the comments in this forum that OIS automatically results in a larger and longer lens compared to IBIS without consider that the Oly 14-150 is almost a 1/4 inch longer than Pany 14-140 and about the same diameter based on the pictures? Yes the Oly lens has 14mm more range so just about equal I would say for this size and comparison at least?

It's evident that the length of both the Olympus and Panasonic 40-140/150 lens is about the same.

However there are reasons for this IMO.

That Olympus did not incorporate collapsing technology, is because I presume the lens is designed for video, as it features silent focusing and also is said to be fast focusing. Perhaps the focusing technology does not suit a collapsing lens? Finally there is the price issue - perhaps Olympus have cheapened the lens somewhat?

The other factor though, is that if the lens was one third more compact in length, it would still be a long lens. Too long to keep in your pocket and attached to the camera, despite the theoretical availability of having a shorter lens.

I'd be interested in knowing from users of Panasonic's fine (if a bit slow for its cost) 40-140 lens, how do they carry it?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WaitNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow