Should eneloops be "conditioned"? & HS10 battery use so far.....

Started May 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lakensea
Contributing MemberPosts: 534Gear list
Like?
Should eneloops be "conditioned"? & HS10 battery use so far.....
May 6, 2010

I have a set of eneloops coming today and am wondering if there is any advantage to doing a 3 day "dischage - recharge" cycle? ( I do not need to use them right away.

I have not gone through many pictures as yet, but here's my results so far:

Initial settings: All sounds off, HS shooting off, continuous focus off, most pics shot in "P" mode, limited flash use, most review on computer.

Original alkalines that came with camera - battery warning at approx 200 shots, started losing focus and write times a approx 300 shots.

I had gotten a new set of Pearstone 2900's from B & H with the camera and was still doing the conditioning cycles when the alkalines died, so I picked up a set of Energizer Lithium Ultras. Well, at about 600 shots I figured I was getting good results, and also realized that I was missing stuff with my power conserving settings, so I turned shutter sounds on, high speed shooting on, turned continuous focusing on when using burst mode (which I use quite a bit to try to catch shots of my over-active dogs) played with the SR-Auto setting more - well the warning light came on at just over 1200 shots. I kept shooting to see what would happen and got about 20 more shots and the camera shut off. When I put the Pearstones in, I realized I had the camera set for NiMh - not sure if that had any effect on performance, or battery warning, but the warning seemed perfect - red light = change batteries.

I now have the Pearstones in and will use them up before testing the eneloops.

So, getting back to my original question, is there any advantage to "conditioning" eneloops, or should I just top off the charge and put them in my case?

Gary

lakensea's gear list:lakensea's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow