Upgrading 40D to 7D???

Started May 3, 2010 | Discussions thread
OnStage
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Re: re-invent yourself :)
In reply to Dave Luttmann, May 4, 2010

Yeah, don't do the 5d mkI. It's a great camera but you'd be making a huge investmant in badly outdated tech (except for the sensor which is one of the best ever)

40D is a lovely camera, I feel that it's one of the best balanced cameras Canon has ever made (features vs price vs size - in context of when it was released) and still a very capable photographic tool.

7d is great, easily the best crop camera I've ever used. But, it doesn't fundamentally do anything that the 40d can't, it just does it bigger and faster and has better feel. New glass on the other hand gives you and entirely new way of seeing.

Do you have a clear use for the 70-200 2.8 II? Not that it's not worth every penny (I will upgrade as soon as I can) but it's a beast to carry and there are good options if you don't need the f 2.8.

No matter what you do pick up a 50 1.8, I also enjoy my 35 f2 and 85 1.8. The 35 and 50 are a little raw around the edges, but great for the $$. The 85 is just a lovely tool.
Most important - keep shooting!
(got to go take my own advice...)
cheers,
john

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OopsNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow