Started May 2, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
steamboatscott
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
Your standard pricing question...but with a twist
May 2, 2010

There are hundreds (if not thousands) of posts on here asking for advice on pricing. I know the standard response, but I'm in a bit of a unique situation. I am not offering my photography services for profit, but rather because I enjoy my hobby and want to share it with others and continue to learn (faster than my family has time for to serve as my guinea pigs).

I find that when I give my services away, the clientele I attract is not ideal (ie. showing up with no clothing coordination, hair/makeup, etc). That said, I do provide free portraits to any families or individuals in need, and participated in the Help Portrait event...so don't misunderstand my intentions here. However, to attract more series subjects/models and to help fund additional equipment to further advance my skill set and offerings, I'm trying to find a sweet spot between the newbies giving away their crap (and I use that term lightly) on Craigslist and the full-time professional who has to mail in that mortgage check every month and does a damn good job at his work. In other words, I'd like to find a win-win situation where my clients get a good value for the quality I offer and I continue to learn and enjoy taking photos.

On to my specific question. How do you feel the quality of my portfolio (www.capturedbyscott.com) aligns to my pricing (www.capturedbyscott.com/pricing)? Again, I know the standard responses for a full-time pro, such as pricing based on your income needs and market penetration desire etc., but in my case, I just want to have fun while not giving away too much....and thus I need some price-to-quality comparison advice.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow