Recommended Geotrackers?

Started Apr 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
harrygilbert
Senior MemberPosts: 2,799Gear list
Like?
Re: Recommended Geotrackers?
In reply to sunhorse, May 2, 2010

I'm glad you mentioned difficulty in picking up satellites. I was impressed that my Garmin could acquire satellites from within my house; but down in Sanibel Island, Florida, I found the high rise hotels blocked the signal. That's where the external Gilsson antenna came in handy. As I noted, I wear the external antenna clipped to my vest when out on a shoot, and have never lost the signal, even under heavy tree cover or in the city.

I have no experience with the less expensive geotag-only units - does anyone have any anecdotes to relate to their ability to acquire and hold the satellite signal? After all, no matter how cheap a unit, it is no bargain if it fails in service.

sunhorse wrote:

Thanks for the info about GPSed. I actually had my blackberry bold 9700 with me while I was in India. In the Thar desert, I found it did not seem to function very well. In urban areas like Delhi, it was Ok though a little slow to acquire satellites. I did not test it extensively as I did not want to drain the battery while out on a trip. My iPhone 3G did even worse though. Also, in foreign countries, using AGPS is often not practical if you are on roaming or if you are in the middle of nowhere.

This is the primary reason I opted for the Garmin. Being a dedicated device, it is much faster and has a very detailed map. In a pinch, it can also use any AA battery which are widely available any where in the world, even in rural areas.

-- hide signature --

Ramesh

harrygilbert's gear list:harrygilbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AMODNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow