ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Builder
Contributing MemberPosts: 921
Like?
Help me choose a new SLR system
May 2, 2010

Hi all,

I've been a Nikon user for about 7 years now, but this weekend past, all of my gear was stolen out of the boot of a rental car at a vacation destination. So I have to start from scratch.

I had a Nikon D200, a Nikon 70-200VR lens and a Tamron 17-55 f/2.8 lens. But I need to start building back up on a budget.

The main things I want in a body are

• Mirror lock-up

• Dust management (self cleaning)

• Micro focus adjustment

Stabilization in the body isn't really a big priority for me, but I'll happily consider systems that have this. Movies, live view, etc do not matter to me.

At the moment, the only Nikon in my price range is the D90 and that doesn't do the micro focus adjustment. The next step up is the D300s and that's quite pricey!

The canon range looks quite good right now. The 50D looks like it would meet most of my requirements at a reasonable price. Canon seem to have a lot of lenses with IS built in right now, and that would help me as I'm a shaky bugger But a lot of these new(er) IS lenses don't look like standard Canon optical quality - they look more like kit lenses with IS bolted on.

The D50 with something like the Sigma 17-70 OS lens looks like a good choice, and that's where I'm leaning as a starting point for the budget right now. Anything else I should be considering ?

thanks,

wayne

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow