Recommended Geotrackers?

Started Apr 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
sunhorse
Senior MemberPosts: 1,465Gear list
Like?
Re: Recommended Geotrackers?
In reply to ssj1, May 2, 2010

ssj1 wrote:

I have been playing with GPSed (gpsed.com) on my blackberry bold and it seems to track well, export GPX files. Still hav'nt tagged with it yet, but aperture can import the gpx files. Best of all, it is in my BB which I carry, do not have to worry about another battery powered device. Similar apps available for several smartphones at the site.

Thanks for the info about GPSed. I actually had my blackberry bold 9700 with me while I was in India. In the Thar desert, I found it did not seem to function very well. In urban areas like Delhi, it was Ok though a little slow to acquire satellites. I did not test it extensively as I did not want to drain the battery while out on a trip. My iPhone 3G did even worse though. Also, in foreign countries, using AGPS is often not practical if you are on roaming or if you are in the middle of nowhere.

This is the primary reason I opted for the Garmin. Being a dedicated device, it is much faster and has a very detailed map. In a pinch, it can also use any AA battery which are widely available any where in the world, even in rural areas.

-- hide signature --

Ramesh

sunhorse's gear list:sunhorse's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon 1 V1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AMODNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow