Started May 1, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,945
Like?
Catch-in focus using Remote Control F.
May 1, 2010

Catch-in focus (focus trapping) using Remote Control F on the Pentax K-m, Pentax K2000, and Pentax K-x.

Since the above cameras do not have a place to plug in a wired remote then what I've written below is the next best thing. The two problems that I've come across is (1) you can only capture one image then you have to start the process over, and (2) it will not work with manual focus lenses. It will only work when using a Pentax autofocusing lens that has an AF/MF switch on the lens. It will also work with certain non-Pentax autofocusing lenses that have an AF/MF switch on the lens.

(1) - In the Menu turn the Auto Power Off to Off.
(2) - In the Custom Menu item 10 (K-x = item 11), set "AF in remote control" = 2
(3) - In the custom Menu item 18 (K-x = item 21), set "Catch-in focus" =2
(4) - In the Drive Mode Menu set Drive Mode to Remote Control.
(5) - Set the camera to AF-S

(6) - Pre-focus the lens in the area that you expect the subject to be in the future.
(7) - Set the AF/MF switch on the lens to MF
(8) - Press the Remote Control F (the blinking red light goes out).

(9) - When that future subject enters the pre-focused area the shutter fires and the red light begins to blink again.
(10) - Press the Remote Controll F to start the process again.

My first test was with a Pentax-FA*300mm f4.5 lens. I simulated a future subject entering the pre-focused area seven (7) minutes after pressing the Remote Control F button. The shutter fired and captured the subject. The red light began blinking again, waiting for another press of the Remote Control F, in order to start the process again.

My second test was with a Pentax-DA*60-250mm f4 lens. I simulated a future subject entering the pre-focused area thirty (30) minutes after pressing the Remote Control F button. The shutter fired and captured the subject. The red light began blinking again, waiting for another press of the Remote Control F, in order to start the process again.

My next test of this Catch-in focus (focus trapping) method will be when the Hummingbirds begin to come around the feeder looking for food. I will only be able to test the K2000 because the four (4) Pentax K-x cameras are soon (next week) to become gifts.

Note to beginning focus trappers. I'm tired and don't want to go through it again so if you have an interest then do a search for "Focus trap" or "Catch-in focus" to see how the process works on all of the other Pentax DSLR's.

Cheers.
Ron

-- hide signature --

'The first thing I do each morning is grab one of my Pentax DSLR cameras and stroll to the mirror just so I can start the day off with a double dose of beauty.' ~ brandrx

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow