Recommended Geotrackers?

Started Apr 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
sunhorse
Senior MemberPosts: 1,464Gear list
Like?
Re: The value of geotagging
In reply to craig mick, May 1, 2010

craig mick wrote:

OK guys, call me stupid or just not tech savvy? why in the world do you want to geo tag a pic. location? Are you going to come back and shoot the same picture again? Can't you find it without GPS? Does anyone else really care what the coordinates of the shot are? Come on, go out and shoot and have fun! Sounds like way too much screwing around to me? Sure use a good GPS on your hikes, drives etc but who cares about linking it to the exif info? Am I way off base here?

Locating a site and going back again is definitely useful, but for me the crucial benefit is knowing where you've been . I was on a trip to Rajasthan, India in March and had about 1300 photos to go through. We visited many forts, ruins and temples. Sorting through all these and trying to recall where the photo was taken can be a real pain.

Sure, you can look at the date/time stamp in your files and try to recall where you were at 10:32AM on March 10, but what a tedious process. Instead, you can load up your GPS track log and with the right software, automatically tag all your shots. Now it is a simple matter to organize you shots by location. I use LR and I can create smart collections to automatically handle this.

-- hide signature --

Ramesh

sunhorse's gear list:sunhorse's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon 1 V1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AMODNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow