Started Apr 24, 2010 | Discussions thread
alaska_tim
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
Re: New Discovery!
In reply to boggis the cat, Apr 30, 2010

boggis the cat wrote:

alaska_tim wrote:

Also, I believe my 50mm f/2 requires more torque to attach to the camera, the mount having a seemingly much tighter fit than the 50-200mm. And I never get these errors with my 50m f/2.

Is it the mount or the contact plate in the 50 mm? Perhaps the contact plate is closer to the mount edge and is making too close contact with the body pin plate.

Hmm... I don't know what this means. I feel that the 50mm is making better, tighter contact and that the 50-200mm is looser. When I first place the 50mm on the camera (only the mount is engaged?) and turn it a bit, it is tighter than the 50-200. When I turn it a bit more (the contact plate engages too?) it becomes much tighter than the 50-200.

All that said, I am having an extremely difficult time coming up with a truly repeatable pattern. The entire issue remains rather intermittent.

It does sound like the pins in the body are sticking or possibly slightly bent.

Did you try depressing each pin and checking that they move freely? They should allow you to push them down flush with the plate, then move back out smoothly. If any stick or "pop" out then you have a bad pin -- most likely slightly bent.

Thanks for the thought. I checked the pins a couple of days ago and they are all clean and spring up and down as they should.

I'm shooting an event tomorrow and will see how it goes and then let you all know.

Thanks again for your help!

Tim

alaska_tim's gear list:alaska_tim's gear list
Olympus E-620 Nikon D7100 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow