Started Apr 29, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Soothsayerman
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?
Lighting overweight people
Apr 29, 2010

What tips or tricks are there to light large people that is the most flattering. I'm using an 85mm lens to get somewhat of a telephoto effect already but specifically, what is the best way to light? This is for 3/4 portrait or headshot portraits.

I've used clamshell diffused lighting and that works for the minimizing shadows of chins etc but then it seems that it is almost TOO much light and shows too much. Is there a good mix of hard vs soft light that works best? Some people talk of using "narrow" vs "broad" light, are they meanging "hard" vs "soft"? Just looking for some tips.

I had a marcomm job of taking pics of a guy and they looked technically great but quite honestly, he wasn't very happy with them and I wasn't either. I tried a large variety of poses etc., but I think I just missed it.

I used a soft light for main, hard for fill, soft under him to minimize chin shadows etc, and a snoot for the hair and a kicker.

-- hide signature --

'Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed.' ~ Winogrand

Soothsayerman's gear list:Soothsayerman's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 450D +10 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow