Recommended Geotrackers?

Started Apr 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
Ludvig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,240Gear list
Like?
Re: Recommended Geotrackers?
In reply to harrygilbert, Apr 29, 2010

Exiftool is used by many programs, and also with the one I use: GPicSync. I have tried to use exiftool directly from the command prompt, but I haven't figured out how to write the string to geotag.

I would appreciate very much if you could write the string you use here so I could test it out. I have studied the exiftool website, but still can't write the correct string.

Thanks!

Ludvig

harrygilbert wrote:

I debated among the various units dedicated to photo geotagging, and opted instead for a Garmin GPSMap 76CSx. This unit has proven extremely versatile and useful. I can track by time unit or distance unit, as well as navigate, backtrack when hiking, and get directions and find food, fuel, and lodging when driving to/from shoots. I bought an external Gilsson antenna and carry case and hang the GPS from a D-ring on my vest. The antenna attaches to a metal clip on the shoulder of my vest (or suctions to a window in the car). Not only do I get the benefit of geotagging photos, but I can look at the color, illuminated display and see where I am when driving or hiking.

To geotag photos, I merely save the track as a .GPX file, and use EXIFTOOL to transfer the coordinates to my files (works with RAW, TIF, and JPG files equally well).

Another nice benefit is the ability to use the mapping software that comes with the unit to create a map of my trek, as well as draw an altitude profile, and calculate the distance I travel, speed, etc. Well worth the money.

Ludvig's gear list:Ludvig's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AMODNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow