Started Apr 29, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Looleylaylow
Regular MemberPosts: 277Gear list
Like?
New to Aperture (and Mac), need help
Apr 29, 2010

Greetings colleagues. I'm struggling with the age-old "managed vs. referenced" dilemma and am seeking suggestions. As a long-time Windows user, I'm a little freaked out by my new Mac's tendency to control everything and bury the native file structure somehwhere difficult to find. But I also want to spend less time administering my machine and more time playing with pictures.

I'm seeing many of the pros and cons of letting Aperture 3 manage my photos vs. managing them myself and referencing them with teh software. What I'm not clear on is whether there is any way--using either method--to delete a master image (not just a version, and not just an image in an Aperture library but the original imported image) via the Aperture 3 interface. There's a "delete master image and all versions" command under the edit menu but that does not, in fact, delete the master image, at least not as I'm defining "master image." So at the moment, it seems to me that the only way to truly rid my system of a picture that I don't want after it's been imported is to delete versions via Aperture and then go to the source file in Finder and delete the original. Which seems to be much easier when Aperture is NOT referencing my files.

So am I missing something? Why would Apple offer up "delete master image" if the command leaves the master on the machine? Help?

Looleylaylow's gear list:Looleylaylow's gear list
Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow