Started Apr 29, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
absolutryan
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Home studio setup questions
Apr 29, 2010

I’m setting up a home studio in my house and I had a few questions. The space is 16Lx9W. It’s not a very big space but I still think I can achieve the results I’m looking for. I currently have a Nikon D90 and an SB-600. I’m debating on whether to go with speedlights or studio strobes. Do you think a few SB-600’s will provide enough light or should I go with studio strobes? I was considering Alien Bees but once again I’m not sure if I should consider the 400’s or 800’s. Does anyone know the equivalent power level of the SB-600 in watts as compared to say a 160 watt studio strobe? My background is going to be white seamless paper that I’m going to hang directly on the wall so I won’t need a background stand and save a few feet. I plan on starting off with a few umbrellas and since the space is so small I plan on going with 32 inch umbrellas but I’m sure that size would also depend on if I go with speedlights or strobes. Also, since it’s a small space and light will be bouncing everywhere off my yellow walls I was thinking about hanging black fabric on the walls so less light would be reflected. Has anyone done this and what fabric have you used? My ceiling is white and only 8 feet high so I’m not sure if I should do the same. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow