Started Apr 28, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BrianC
Regular MemberPosts: 162
Like?
1D Mk IV - just went back
Apr 28, 2010

I just had to send my MK IV back for a focussing issue - in both servo and in single shot using a 70-200 F 2.8 L IS lens and with a 16-35 L F 2.8 lens the camera front focussed significantly - but not consistently. the problem repeated itself throughout a political debate I was photographing - using both lenses - speakers who were not in motion were slightly to significantly out of focus while the people in front of them were sharp - in the wide angle shots the people 10 feet in front of the speaker were sharp.

I shoot in RAW and I pulled the images up in the RAW converter which will show the Focus sensor used - it clearly showed the sensor over the speakers face or on their shirt and tie to be the selected point and despite being in single shot mode the subject was soft. the people in the foreground did not interfere with focus as there was plenty of distance between the tops of their heads and the subject I was focussing on.

conditions were not optimal - the settings were ISO 2000 - 3200 shooting from 1/160th to 1/250th at around F 3.2 - now for comparison purposes and because I was not going to shoot this assignment with a never used Camera without backup - I shot some head shots hand held with a D3 and a 300 f 2.8 nikkor older generation lens and they are all sharp. NO - I do not think this is a Canon wide issue

I've loved my 1DMK II N and my 5DMK II -LOVE them - even though the 5D MK II immediately had a focus sensor go dead and had to be fixed under warranty - and I don't think the 5D MK II is nearly the camera the 1D cams are for action. so I am NOT a canon basher - but I picked up a 1dMK IV the other day and while I found it pretty easy to set up and it was impressively built and fast as hell - the video was easy to use and impressive. Hopefully I just got a bad one.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow