Started Apr 27, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,266
Like?
New 520's all working well
Apr 27, 2010

I mentioned in a previous post that I teach a small photography class at my daughter's middle school, and that the school bought 6 520's last month. We've used them on two outings so far, once in nasty rain at a farm (I gave each kid a large microfiber cloth from Costco to keep the cameras dry) and today in great sunshine in town. The cameras work great, no problems.

The most difficult thing is keeping the settings straight. I'm amazed what settings they manage to change without even trying, like today when one camera was getting near black photos and I thought it might be malfunctioning until I noticed it was on shadow priority metering. So I do regular settings checks, and periodically ask them to tell me what shutter speed and f stop they are at (to avoid shooting all day at iso 1600 and f22, for instance).

I've been very pleased with the image quality. In fact, between my 420, my 620 and these 520's, I think it's a little more fun to use the 520.

Some sample shots below from various students...

Trespassing...

Watch your hands...

One student was showing us a horse she cares for...

Rooster in rain...

The kids like all kinds of close-ups...

Hard to argue with the weather today...

Where Sarah Palin spent a few nights...

Lonesome dandelion..

A couple wanted to shoot from the trees. I handed the cameras to them after the climbing...

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow