Recommended Geotrackers?

Started Apr 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
sunhorse
Senior MemberPosts: 1,465Gear list
Like?
Re: Recommended Geotrackers?
In reply to CameraCarl, Apr 27, 2010

I am just getting into this. I started out with with a Holux M-241 which is about the same size and appearance to a 35mm film can. It was quite disappointing in that it was very slow to acquire satellites in an urban environment even with no high rises. Although it supports Bluetooth, this was a pain to make it work on a Mac. It was however easy enough to use the USB port.

I also found that it drains the single AA battery fairly quickly, especially when it is trying to acquire satellites.

Next, I decided that if I am going to do this, I might as well get a good GPS that is not a whole lot larger (although heavier). So I got a Garmin Oregon 550. This is not too big, and has a decent touch screen and all the features of a regular GPS. No Bluetooth though. It does generate tracks automatically, or by time or distance. It also has a built-in 3.2 mp camera which can be very useful. At $430 it is not cheap when compared to the $60 price of the Holux. But you get a much more rugged, reliable and full featured GPS.

I used Photolinker for OS X and Google Earth and had no problem grabbing the track log via USB. I was also able to use LR to with Jeffery Friedl's Geoencoding Support plugin to grab data from Google Earth. But simplest of all was Photolinker which lets you tag a bunch of files at once automatically or manually. This supports popular file types including RAW.

I am still experimenting and try to do a side by side comparison between the Holux and Garmin (unfair, I know!) since I still have both.

-- hide signature --

Ramesh

sunhorse's gear list:sunhorse's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon 1 V1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AMODNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow