How do you prevent the mode dial from accidentally slipping (7D)?

Started Apr 27, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Scarff
Regular MemberPosts: 304Gear list
Like?
How do you prevent the mode dial from accidentally slipping (7D)?
Apr 27, 2010

On issue that drives me nuts on the 7D (and 50D, 40D, 30D, 20D...) is that the mode dial does not lock. I like to shoot 95+% of my shots in AV (Aperture priority) mode.

However, too often, during normal carrying of the camera, something (the camera strap? my hand?) brushes against the mode dial and changes it to a different mode. All too frequently, I don't notice the change, and proceed to snap a bunch of photos in some entirely wrong mode.

For example, yesterday, I came across a Wilson's warbler, a tiny, hyperactive little bird, quickly grabbed my camera while the bird was close, and snapped about 10 photos, only to discover later that the mode dial had switched to "Manual" and the photos were about 3 stops over-exposed. By the time I noticed the problem, the bird was long gone. This has happened dozens (hundreds) of times to me.

I don't understand why:

(1) Why none of the reviews I've read of any of the EOS cameras mention this problem. Am I the only one that has had this experience? and

(2) Why Canon has not designed the mode dial so that it "locks" in position. In prior, non-Canon cameras I've owned, to change a dial setting, you would have to lift up the dial (or the exterior ring on the dial), twist it to the new position, then press it down to lock it. I cannot imagine that this would be such a hard design issue, and cannot see any downside to this approach. I suspect that most photographers do not change modes very frequently.

I searched the forum and did not find any discussions of this issue. I have heard that some photographers simply tape the mode dial in place with duct tape. This seems an inelegant, if perhaps effective, approach to solving the problem.

Anybody else have any other solutions?

Jim Scarff's gear list:Jim Scarff's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow