ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pez
pez
Regular MemberPosts: 156
Like?
What did I get myself into...
Apr 27, 2010

As luck would have it I inadvertently stepped into taking the school picture for my son's elementary school. It's partially my fault for providing nearly all the photo's for my son's grade that get published in the yearbook (for the last three years). His class in particular has a disproportionate amount of space in it. Apparently, parents are impressed by very little...um I mean in focus photos. Therefore I was elected to take the picture with very little wiggle room for backing out. The PTSO (PTA elsewhere) can apply some pressure.

There will be roughly 700 students plus the faculty, etc. Each grade is dressing up in a different color and lining up as a rainbow. I scouted locations with the yearbook organizer who had some good ideas. We intend to have multiple rows per grade lined up on a small hill in the playground. I think the rainbow will be roughly 50ft by 30ft and the hill raise about 10ft over the 30ft depth. I will be able to control the height from which I take the picture as the school has a "cherry picker".

The problem I wrestling with is the hill angle with respect to the sun. The event is set for 2pm. I took my son there yesterday at that time and check the lighting. There will be a small shadow on the left side of some kid's faces depending where they line up in the arc of the rainbow.

Do I just let this go or do I try to compensate with flashes? I don't have experience with strobes or umbrellas and I won't have an assistant that would have experience either. I do have an ex580, an ex420 and possible could barrow another 580. Also, I'll be using a 7D with probably a 24-70 but could drop down to a 10-22 if needed.

Any suggestions?

BTW, the shoot is this Friday. The school will be giving (paid for by fund raisers) the pictures to parents so everyone will get one.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow