ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
janzu77
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?
Beginner tips for TTL flash (external) in manual mode
Apr 25, 2010

Hello!

As a newbie in DSLR world I'm trying to understand the basics of flash use in manual mode, the issue that I would like to clarify is the TTL operation (or E-TTL in Canon) in M mode?

If I have undestood right, the TTL should work as well in M mode, of course full manual can be used with the flash, but how about the TTL?

What I have experimented is that aperture value doesn't have effect (greatly) when TTL is in use, so obviously the TTL is operating correctly then?

The exposure time effects only to the background lightness, that seems to be clear.

So, is my assumption correct if I say that TTL compensates the AV if in use? This means by then that "normal rules" for flash (aperture size = amount of flash light) operation are not valid? Is the TTL in manual mode meant to work so that you are able to select the wanted aperture, and the TTL makes sure the exposure stays on correct level or...?

Of course with all manual, the camera & flash, all controls are selectable as they should be.

My gear: 450D & Nissin 622

janzu77's gear list:janzu77's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow