Started Apr 24, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Howard Podgurski
Forum MemberPosts: 50Gear list
Like?
What a long wait does Nikon
Apr 24, 2010

Back in January, I made the decision to purchase a D3s, in order to improve the quality of my photos and say goodbye to my outdated D200 and backup D100. After placing my order, knowing that I wouldn't see it for several months, I decided to spend the time waiting, concentrating only on improving my photo composition skills. I do some commercial work but mostly for personal use.

For the first time in my camera life (30 years) there was no equipment envy and I began seeing images in the viewfinder in a way I had never seen them before. I had one low light job, that I was not allowed to use a flash so I purchased an 85mm 1.4 which served my needs quite well. Then the call came this past Friday and my D3s was in. Up until 4 weeks ago I would have been late for my funeral in order to get my hands on this camera. It was suddenly an easy decision, I walked away from the D3s. Certainly not a problem because of the several hundred names still waiting.

The lesson learned, was, what did I really expect from the latest and greatest technology that I couldn't achieve otherwise. For sure there will be a new camera in my future but not until I hit the wall for my needs with current equipment.

In our culture of "latest and greatest" I'm curious if the stragety of long lead times causes a company to loose customers because we have the time to think how and why we buy.

Howard Podgurski's gear list:Howard Podgurski's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow