Storage/backup solution -will this work?

Started Apr 22, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
motion
Contributing MemberPosts: 692
Like?
Storage/backup solution -will this work?
Apr 22, 2010

What do you think of my proposal for a storage/backup solution?:

The idea is based on the on by Image Mechanics ( http://www.deathtofilm.com/2008/06/30/image-mechanics-off-line-archiving-system-the-next-generation/ ) using a disk array with removable hard drives. The enclosure I'm considering is the Proavio S4UF ( http://www.proavio.com/s4uf_specifications.html ).

Two drives act together as a "working" and an "archive" drive. I suppose setting up some sort of RAID mirroring solution would be useful here -I noticed that Apple's "Disk utility" has options for some of these things.

Every now and then I would exchange the "archive" drive with a 3rd drive and copy everything from the "working" drive. I'd remove and store this drive in a physically different location from where I am (in case of theft, fire, flood etc.).

Notice that the drive array has 4 bays. This would allow me to use 2 drive sets simultaneously: one dedicated to photos, organized in folders (I use Adobe Bridge for this), the other for other files. The computer's internal drive will just be used for software, email, Photoshop's scratch disk and temporary storage in case of on-location tethered shots etc. I have a 500 GB 2.5" Firewire drive which will do regular backups of the computer. Finally I have another 2.5" Firewire drive which I can use for temporary storage (and temporary backups of work done on location until I get back home).

So what do you think? Is this a good solution?

I figure that a RAID solution wouldn't be as flexible, because my solution will allow me to exchange and archive complete drives as they fill up, and it doesn't rely on a bunch of drives constantly running (for my setup I suppose I can just "eject" and "mount" drives as needed). And it also allows me to easily make an extra backup of a drive for external physical storage.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow