Started Apr 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Knnyiam
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
500d / T1i sigma 17-70 vs canon lenses
Apr 21, 2010

I have many threads about the sigma 17-70mm. Most of the user reviews and "expert" reviews seem to be in favor of the lens but i am still confused whether it is worth the upgrade from a 18-55 kit lens for my canon 500d / T1i. And if so, is the older one better than the newer, more expensive version. I would just go to the store and try it out but i havent found a store that has it.

My main purpose for upgrading is to get a little bit more reach and better IQ. I considered the canon 18-135 and 17-85 and also the sigma 18-125 but i found myself coming back to the sigma 17-70 based on reviews and price. The magnification isnt as high but from the reviews, it seems to be the best glass for the money. It is also faster than the other lenses. And i think f/4 or f/4.5 is plenty fast enough, if i need faster i will simply zoom all the way out. So my main question is, is it worth paying an extra $150 USD for the HSM OS version of this lens? the only difference in aperture is from 50-70mm where the non os is 4.5 and the OS is 4. Is that much of a difference? I also have the canon 50mm 1.8 if i need more speed. but i want an all in one lens. And this sigma 17-70 seems to be it for the price.

From testing the 18-55mm lens, i have found turning the IS off makes no difference in Image quality or blur even with shutter speed of up to 1 second. This is hand held, no tripod used. Is there any situation where IS or OS may be needed?

Also if anyone has the time, can you post a pic of the sigma 17-70 next to the canon 18-55? or perhaps a link?

-Posted in New discussion already by mistake.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow