To wait for a semi-pro full-frame camera or to jump ship ?

Started Apr 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
huqedato
Regular MemberPosts: 376
Like?
To wait for a semi-pro full-frame camera or to jump ship ?
Apr 21, 2010

I'm a pentaxian for almost 20 years and I've been using almost all types of Pentax cameras and lenses from 1990 up to now. Today I only use a K7 and a K20 with a dozen of lenses and other accessories.

I am an activate member in a local photo club for many years - some of us are entuziast, other are semi-professionals and a couple are purely pro photographer. I am the only one using Pentax gear. So far I was somehow content of my gear but in the past months I became more and more disappointed about that and particularly on the image quality of my gear (nothing to do with glasses): all other members of my club are using full-frame sensor cameras (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Leica) and the time lag between my camera IQ and theirs is about two-three years (i.e. a image quality generation lag: my K7 IQ is on par with their cameras IQ of 2007-2008 or so). I've made many many real-life tests on field with my fellows and the same results: K7 is an old camera regarding IQ. I don't want to be destructive with K7 - I love the body but please understand that its IQ is well behind of a new generation full-frame camera (like EOS 5D II, Nikon D3, D700, D3S, Sony A900, A850).

All being said I decided that it's time for me to pass to a full-frame system (as I am using on film with my LX and MZ-S) - as I said, I have lots of Pentax gear that I love and it's hard to abandon them. Otherwise, it would be easy on me now to sell and swift pass to Sony 850 or Nikon D700 with four or five new lenses.

So, I ask this forum's opinion regarding the possibility of a Pentax full-frame camera in the close future - in a year or year and a half. More than that I cannot afford to wait and I should jump to other system.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.
H.D.

-- hide signature --

~ errant ~

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EasyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow