Started Apr 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Simon Bradshaw
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
'New' G11 seems to have image count starting at 8,724
Apr 19, 2010

The other day I bought a G11 from a reputable London photographic dealer I've dealt with several times before. I wanted a more portable counterpart to my 400D and so far I've been very pleased with it. But there is one major concern: I am not at all sure I have been sold a new camera.

In the shop I played around with the one on display and decided to buy one. The assistant had a look around and explained that they had no boxed ones left so he would put the one on display back in its box for me. It looked to be in mint condition and he wiped it down before packing it back up so I paid for it (a reasonably good price for an over-the-counter sale) and took it home. A very hectic weekend followed (I was meant to be travelling, but the volcano put paid to that!) so now I have had more time to try out the G11. I'm absolutely delighted with it as a camera but when I downloaded my first set of images I noticed that the filenames began with IMG8724.jpg and continued onwards. I hadn't actually realised this when shooting, although once I reviewed on the camera it was obvious there as well.

My question is this: does this actually mean that this camera has taken over 8,700 shots already? I'm a moderately active photographer and that's more than my 400D has racked up in the last three years. I can't believe that even a very heavily-used demo camera would have accumulated that many exposures; as I said, the camera itself looks brand new. But it seems very odd that the image sequence number is starting so high.

If this is solid evidence of heavy prior use then I am taking it back - a camera with nearly 9,000 shots through it is certainly not 'new'. But before I do so I want to check I'm on solid ground - again, the camera looks in mint condition, and this is a good dealer (no names yet) who have treated me well before. Could this be an odd glitch?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow