Started Apr 18, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
motion
Contributing MemberPosts: 692
Like?
Creative use of hotshoe flash
Apr 18, 2010

I recently attended a short course on how to creatively use a hotshoe flash which included things like isolating someone in a room with the aid of light and color temperature, using a small softbox with your camera flash and mixing ambient/flash light to mention a few things.

I know practice, practice, practice is the way to go, but is there a good book which explains these things? It should be right to the point, easy and quick to read as my attention span and time is limited. I already have studio lighting books, so that's not what I'm after but rather how to get good shots out in "the field".

Looking through Amazon I've found the following which seem to fit into this category (and yes -I'm a Canon user):

• On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography by Neil van Niekerk

• Off-Camera Flash: Creative Techniques for Digital Photographers by Rod Deutschmann

• Mastering Canon EOS Flash Photography by MK Guy

• Captured by the Light: The Essential Guide to Creating Extraordinary Wedding Photography by David Ziser

• The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes by Joe McNally

I already have Canon Speedlite System Digital Field Guide by J. Dennis Thomas but didn't like it or find it very useful.
Which one(s) do you recommend I get?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow