Quick sharpness test, 70-300 vs 50-200 & EC20

Started Apr 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,680Gear list
Like?
Re: what's the conclusion?
In reply to PeterNMIF, Apr 17, 2010

I've owned both. This Christmas I was gifted with a chunk of money towards the 50-200mm, which I had wanted for about 4+ years. The samples show that both lenses can take decent pictures that are comparable despite the large price difference. And edge can be seen in 100% crops in both sharpness and contrast imo.

But in real life, the 50-200mm is a charmer. Being faster, it's much easier to get a sharper shot (and I don't have IS). The sharpness, contrast, and over all shooting experience is a more confident one. Either my 70-300mm was in a soft batch and my 50-200mm was in a sharp batch, or there's simply a lot more to the story when it comes to delivery in real life shooting than can be captured in 100% crops. The only down side is the weight, imo. The price (and mine was a v1 used lens), is very much worth the premium.

Cheers,
Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow