24-105 and Barrel Distortion - (including before and after example)

Started Apr 16, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stelin
Regular MemberPosts: 482Gear list
Like?
24-105 and Barrel Distortion - (including before and after example)
Apr 16, 2010

Coming from another thread where this has become a discssion issue. I wonder what everyone else thinks.

I have just sold my 24-105 because I do not like the distortion at the wide end especially as I shoot quite a lot of buildings.

I know that DPP corrects this. - Whether it does fully or not is another issue, but when it does so it introduces a significant crop of the image although the interpolating makes the final size slightly larger.

I don't see the point in shooting knowing that you cannot frame accurately because you have to allow room for the software to correct for the lens!

The examples below were simply converted from RAW to jpg in DPP with DPP corrected the distortion an 100 for the corrected image. No other processing other than to reduce the size for submission because the native image is too large.

The uncorrected image from my 5D2 is 3744x5616, the corrected one from DPP is 3750x5625

1/125 f4.5 ISO 1600 24mm - a grab shot to see whether I liked it before getting the tripod out. So the framing isn't perfect, but when I set up the tripod it would be.

As a crude estimate given that the feet of the two pillars that are peeping into the frame at the edge are both gone, DPP has trimmed a minimum of 110 pixels in width - approx 3% of the width.

I haven't measured it but a similar amount appears to be lost from top and bottom as well.

Thus to use this lens on a 5D2 you have to allow for significant loss of edge material, preventing accurate framing, and effectively converting your 21MP sensor into a 19.8 MP one. I don't know how well DPP interpolates to get back to the frame size but I'd prefer not to have the need of any

What do people think?

-- hide signature --

Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/stelin29
Equipment List on Profile

stelin's gear list:stelin's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +15 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow