Started Apr 16, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
angeles
Regular MemberPosts: 415
Like?
Olympus 9-18mm VS Panasonic 20mm VS 17mm & 14-42mm
Apr 16, 2010

I was surprised to find out that the upcoming 9-18mm is actually quite sharp at 18mm so it's really good walk around lens with 18-36mm or for those who do not own the Panasonic 20mm and want a sharp lens

They are really close when it come to sharpness (compared to Olympus 17mm/14-42mm which is really far behind these 2 when it comes to sharpness)

The 20mm is still a little sharper,more portable,better DOF control and shoot better in low light, but during daylight you can get decent results with the 9-18mm

The 9-18mm itself is really tiny and portable

Stepping the 9-18mm to F5.6 still get you similar results to the F8.0~ but i wanted to compare the sharpest image between both lenses (F2.8 for the 20mm and F8.0 for 18m (Closet to the 20mm range of the panasonic)

shooting at daylight with the 9-18mm shouldn't be an issue i believe (Since EP got access to Built in stabilization) and the 9-18mm does beat the Olympus 17mm and 14-42mm when it comes to sharpness ! not only that but it does focus much faster too.

And lets not forget that the 9-18mm focus is almost silent and built for video and stills unlike previous Olympus lenses.

What do you guys think?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow