Recommend something like Canon 15-85 IS USM in same price range?

Started Apr 15, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
andyatkinson
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Recommend something like Canon 15-85 IS USM in same price range?
Apr 15, 2010

I have posted this message in "Canon talk" but will link to this post here to replace the original. I apologize for the cross-post, this is my first thread on DPReview and found "Canon SLR Lens Talk" after originally posting, which I think is more appropriate and might get more eyeballs on it. I will link to this post from the other to maintain a trail for future readers.

Hello. I'm going for a "1 lens" setup (+ the 50mm f1.8 which is very small and portable) for an upcoming Europe vacation. I don't want to change lenses during the day, so I'm going for the best compromise of image quality, focal distance, and cost. I have a 30D and Tamron 17-50 f2.8 now. Price wise the 15-85 is on the high end for me (at around $720 new), but do-able. I am happy with the Tamron except I have wanted more focal length on past trips. I'm willing to go to the variable aperture 15-85 3.5-5. because it gets me more focal length, has received good corner sharpness ratings, good IQ overall, and is a smaller/lighter lens. (of course I'd prefer the constant aperture, but would be out of my price range for new with Canon).

I'm planning to purchase a T2i soon to replace the body, which all also get my better high ISO performance. I'm thinking about buying the 15-85 to bring with on the trip. Any other lenses I should be considering? Perhaps from Tamron/Sigma with very good IQ...and in the US $400-700 range? The other Canon lens I'm considering is the 18-135 but I don't think I'd be happy with sharpness based on the reviews. Another option would be a lens that sells new for 1000 maybe but I could get used in my price range (around 700), though new would be first choice. Thanks!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow